Italiano

Church of St. Minias on the Mountain Virtual Tour

San Miniato al Monte (St. Minias on the Mountain) is a Basilica on the hills that surround Florence, near Piazzale Michelangelo. The church is one of the masterpieces of the Tuscan Romanesque and has a beautiful facade of green and white marble and a blind colonnade in the lower part. The facade is interrupted by a mosaic of Christ between the Madonna and St. Miniato. Once inside, the Church offers us the spectacle of the marble carpet richly inlaid with animal motifs. The same care is reflected in the decorative fence in presbytery which is accessed by stairs on either side of the Chapel of the Crucifix, designed by Michelozzo in 1448, which dominates the central nave. The choir raised on a platform above the large crypt is the oldest part of the church.

On the left aisle of the church there is the Chapel of the Cardinal of Portugal, commissioned by King Alfonso to house the remains of the young nephew, James of Lusitania, who died in Florence. The vault, made by Luca della Robbia, is covered with polychrome tiles and completed with five glazed earthenware tondi with the Holy Spirit at the centre and the theological virtues. Imposing is the tomb where the carved figures are modeled with delicacy and elegance, very beautiful the two angels who genuflect.

For a great selection of places to stay with discount prices visit Florence Hotels for more information.

FLORENCE 360° … SAN MINIATO al MONTE CHURCH

Marble Façade of St. Minias on the Mountains

360 Pano > Marble Facade of St. Minias on the Mountains

Buy a Print or Send an e.Card (Free)

The geometrically patterned facade, of green and white marble in the Tuscan manner, has a blind colonnade with five round arches in the lower part. In the upper part there is the mosaic of Christ between the Virgin and St Minias made in 1260. The polychrome marble decoration of the facade is also a feature of the interior dominated by the raised presbytery.

Left Aisle of the romanesque church of San Miniato

360 Pano > Left Aisle of the romanesque church of San Miniato

Buy a Print or Send an e.Card (Free)

The interior is unusual, with the choir on a platform above the large crypt. The patterned pavement dates from 1207. The centre of the nave is dominated by the beautiful freestanding Cappella del Crocefisso (Chapel of the Crucifix), designed by Michelozzo in 1448 and decorated with panels long thought to be painted by Agnolo Gaddi.

Cardinal of Portugal Chapel

360 Pano > Cardinal of Portugal Chapel

Buy a Print or Send an e.Card (Free)

The Cardinal of Portugal Chapel is in the left aisle and is recognized as one of the most magnificent funerary monuments of the Italian Renaissance. It was built in 1473 as a memorial to Cardinal James of Lusitania, who died in Florence. His is the only tomb in the church. The chapel is a collaboration of outstanding artists of Florence: it was designed Antonio Manetti and finished after his death by Giovanni Rossellino. The tomb was made by Antonio and Bernardo Rossellino. The chapel decoration is by Alesso Baldovinetti, Antonio and Piero del Pollaiuolo, and Luca della Robbia.

Choir and presbytery and the great mosaic of the apse

360 Pano > Choir and presbytery and the great mosaic of the apse

Buy a Print or Send an e.Card (Free)

The raised choir and presbytery contain a magnificent romanesque pulpit and the apse is dominated by a great mosaic dating from 1297, which depicts San Miniato to the right of Christ holding a crown. The crucifix above the main altar is attributed to Luca della Robbia.

crypt with the relics of san miniato

360 Pano > Crypt under the zone of the main altar

Buy a Print or Send an e.Card (Free)

The Crypt, in which are preserved the relics of St. Minias, is the oldest part of the church and is located under the main altar. It can be reached by three flights of stairs, corresponding to the aisles and has a height ranging from 4 to 4.5 meters. The ceiling is marked by cross vaults that rest on 38 columns.

florence panorama

360 Pano > Florence from the square in front of the Bishop's Palace

Buy a Print or Send an e.Card (Free)

Next to the Church, to the right there is the Bishop's Palace (1295- 1320), the ancient summer residence of the bishops of Florence which then became a convent, an hospital and a Jesuit house.

360° Panoramas by Simona Bartolomei

••• VIRTUAL BROCHURE •••

san miniato panoramic virtual brochure

Romanesque Church of San Miniato al Monte

360° VR Panoramic Virtual Brochure

••• GOOGLE MAPS •••

 san miniato on google map

San Miniato on Google Maps

360° VR Panoramas of Florence • Tuscany

••• HIGHLIGHTS •••

nave st john the baptist

Nave near the main altar

Church of St. John the Baptist • Florence

••• LITTLE PLANET •••

san miniato little planet

Romanesque Church of San Miniato

Florence from the Bishop's Palace

••• 360 CITIES TOUR •••

lucca virtual tour

LUCCA VIRTUAL TOUR

360° VR Panoramas of the Tuscan Province

THINK•LAB | THINK•VR360° | THINK•ARCHITECTURE | THINK•GRAPHICS | 360° CITIES | IMAGE OF THE MONTH

Copyright © 2008 - 2011 THINK•LAB --- All rights reserved --- Site Map - Terms and Conditions