italiano

Basilica of Santa Maria Novella • Florence

mappa della chiesa di santa caterina a firenze

The Dominican Church of Santa Maria Novella was completed around the 1300 and since than underwent several changes: the façade was covered immediately after the 1300, while the upper part, designed by Leon Battista Alberti, was built between 1450 and 1470. The Florentine textile merchant Rucellai, for whom Leon Battista Alberti designed the Palace in via della Vigna Nuova, made possible the creation of this masterpiece; in the frieze below the pediment there is the inscription “Giovanni Rucellai son of Paolo in the blessed year 1470” and it is also possible to see the sails in the wind representing the Rucellai Family. Many elements are typical of the Alberti's architecture: the central portal framed by antique-style columns and surmounted by a barrel vault Roman, the tympanum sided by two curved volutes. The interior of the church is reach of works of Filippino Lippi, Masaccio, Ghirlandaio, Brunelleschi and Giotto.
The square in front of the Church has been recently restored: fundamental part of the works is the new lighting (minimally invasive) which highlights the façade of the Church leaving in the penumbra the surrounding buildings.


Bookmark and Share

VIRTUAL TOUR

THINK•LAB | THINK•VR360° | THINK•ARCHITECTURE | THINK•GRAPHICS | 360° CITIES | IMAGE OF THE MONTH

Copyright © 2009 THINK•LAB --- All rights reserved --- Site Map - Terms and Conditions